irish

Friday, September 19, 2008

Fairhaven 15K run...what a great weekend

some of you know that i had been training for a 15k run. it was in bellingham last saturday. my college friend hilary and i (mostly her) planned a weekend invited a 2 other moms, to run and relax and it was awesome!!
carrie, kelley, hilary and me
i was nervous, excited and kind of sick about the run, the train up and back by myself and sharing a relaxation weekend with 2 women i hadn't even met yet(and hil which i was thoroughly looking forward too!).

me, hilary and carrie still cold. we hadn't started

running yet and the sun was behind the clouds still ;)

i also, wondered if i had trained enough and could actually run/jog the 9.3miles. i was pretty sure i could finish, but i really didn't want to end up walking several miles of the race! the last 2 races i had been in i finished in great positions the lake run in lake oswego 2006 i was 814 out of 816! yes total runners not age group...too hilly was my excuse! the deschutes dash in bend i came in at a whopping 64 or 65 of 68 total runners! now this was pathetic! i was very disappointed and not very motivated to keep it up after this. not that i was trying to win by any means but second or third from last!!! so, i really had 2 goals in mind first, finish second, don't come in in the bottom 10.
still waiting for the horn
so here i was at the start of the race

isn't that a great picture, totally me!

thanks kelley!

it was a slow start but once the 595 runners were spread out a bit it got much better. i ran/jogged all but about a .25 of a mile. this i walked so i could down some goo i had been told really helps your long run
Here is hil coming in ar 1:29:59! Way to go hil

here i am coming in at 1:52:09

here is carrie coming in at 1:54:56

Yes, we it did!

i was slow but steady and i did not come in in the bottom 10! yeah!!! i was 486! 109 runner/joggers/walkers came in after me!! can you tell i am excited about that!?!
when finished running we totally expected to be completely wiped out but that didn't come until a much later. we were all so excited to have finished and so happy with our times the adrenaline was really flowing. we followed up the run with some fabulous massages at the chrysalis spa and spent a few hours there just relaxing, looking out at the puget sound it was great! then we did some window shopping, ate gellato and mexican food, then back to the hotel for a movie and snacks (chocolate/diet cokes) in bed!



i loved this weekend it was great! i met some awesome women. carrie and kelley! and it is always a treasure to spend time with hil gotta love that women! so motivating! yes i love you hil! thanks till we run again 1/2 marathon january? hehe



5 comments:

Mark and Karen said...

You go girl! I'm totally impressed. Sounds like a really fun and rewarding weekend.

Thanks for all your help today.

Michelle Alley said...

Congrats Charity! Yeah for you! I have only ever ran a 10K! Of course I have had plans to do more - but ya! That photo of you starting the race with your head turned to the camera is really cute! So glad you had a great time and go girl for the 1/2!

korie said...

Wow looks like fun. Kinda of :) No really wow what a great goal and to do it with friends even better! Good Job.

Natalie said...

So I was just checking out Shannon Sewell's website and saw new pictures of Eliza! Wow, she is one beautiful little girl! You gotta watch out for that one! And also, amazing photographers, I saw Stephanie McBrides pictures as well! Wow!

Ethan is going to be getting a new expensive camera and is learning lots and lots and LOVES SS's pictures too. I guess I need to comment on them but I feel silly. I will make Ethan do it. :)

Oh yeah, and Congrats on finishing that 15K run and making your goal! Hopefully I will see you on Monday, that is if I don't forget again!

Rene said...

Great job Charity! WOW! I think I would die if I ran a mile!