irish

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

FINALLY, I lost my first tooth!!!



Late, very very late, after Eliza's ballet recital she finally lost her first tooth!!

Funny story. Eliza has had a loose tooth for quite a while now. The permanent one has almost fully erupted behind this baby tooth. The baby tooth was strong and didn't want to come out. You can see in the picture that she has a double row of teeth. Now, knowing me and seeing as how I am a dental hygienist you would think that this would totally bother me. But it actually didn't. You see I haven't embraced the next stage of Eliza's dentition the mixed stage. You know big yellow awkward looking adult teeth mixed with the bright white baby teeth. I think this stage is...well awkward!! I am not a fan at all!! Weird, don't I work with kids!? ;) Anyway you get the picture not a fan of the mixed dentition. So I felt like as long as we could hang onto the baby the better. Vain, I know! But Dad (Ryan) on the other hand could hardly stand that this tooth was taking forever to get loose and then to see that the permanent one was coming in behind was just about too much to handle. He tried several times over the past couple of months to get that sucker out of her mouth. These sessions usually ended with tears sometime from Eliza and sometimes from Dad ;0 not really just thought is sounded good and makes the story better;) he he Well, Late very very late on this particular Saturday night Ry decides that it is time for this tooth to come out. Mary and I are in bed, Eliza is down getting her midnight snack (literally). And I hear her start to cry. It starts soft then becomes full on wailing! I let it go for about a minute and then go downstairs. I see Ryan trying to get his hand in Eliza's mouth. She is doing just about everything she can to keep him out. She kept saying that he already tried to get it out and it didn't work. I was totally irritated. I said 'are you kidding me' it is midnight and you're trying to take her tooth out?' Dads defense was that he was afraid that she would swallow it. I walked over to Eliza, asked to see her tooth, and plucked it right out. She started to squirm but it was over. I said now everyone go to bed!! Eliza was shocked that it was out and kept saying 'is it out? Mom is it out?' She just started laughing when I handed the tooth to her. They we asked if the tooth fairy comes when you loose a tooth this late. Ryan decided that she does. We asked Eliza what she thought the Tooth Fairy was going to leave and she said that she would 'only leave $2 because I was a wimp...if I wasn't a wimp I could have gotten $10!' I wonder where she got her #'s didn't we just get change for our teeth :)


PS: The Tooth Fairly left $5 and almost got caught!!
PPS: The pink in the last molar on the right is her filling, everyone thinks it is candy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh - I am totally cracking up as I am reading your story, I feel the EXACT same that you do about permanent teeth, I always have! Tell Eliza Congratulations! What a BIG girl she is now....Its only just begun! Happy fourth of July!

Michelle Alley said...

Hilarious! What a story. I can just see it all happening. A midnight snack? I would freak if my girls did that - but they're only four, so maybe not when they are Eliza's age. I think the most I got for a tooth was 50 cents!
Cute story! Congrats to Elzia :-)

christy said...

the boys and glenn checked out the pic's and toran was so excited for you eliza! yea-hoo!